The Importance of Warming Up and Cooling Down
The majority of people who enjoy the sport of running and jogging are aware of the importance of properly warming up before beginning their practice. It is important to keep the muscles limber and flexible, and this may be beneficial in preventing running injuries. It is equally as important to perform cool down stretches, and this may be helpful in preventing muscle soreness the following day. Research has indicated it is wise to follow a training plan. This can consist of gradually increasing the mileage and speed of your workout as to avoid strained muscles. Many runners incorporate strength training into their running routine, in addition to cross training activities. If you would like additional information about how running injuries can affect the feet, please consult with a podiatrist.
Exercising your feet regularly with the proper foot wear is a great way to prevent injuries. If you have any concerns about your feet, contact one of our podiatrists of Foot & Ankle Specialists of Nevada. Our doctors will treat your foot and ankle needs.
How to Prevent Running Injuries
Many common running injuries are caused by overuse and overtraining. When the back of the kneecap starts wearing out and starts causing pain in your knee, this is commonly referred to as runner’s knee. Runner’s knee is a decrease in strength in your quadriceps and can occur if you’re not wearing properly fitted or supporting shoes. To prevent runner’s knee, focusing on hip strengthening is a good idea, as well as strengthening your quads to keep the kneecaps aligned.
What Are Some Causes of Running Injuries?
– One cause of a common running injury is called iliotibial band syndrome.
– Plantar fasciitis is also another common injury.
– Stress fractures can occur from overtraining, lack of calcium, or even your running style.
Best Ways to Prevent Running Injuries
– Wear footwear that fits properly and suits your running needs.
– Running shoes are the only protective gear that runners have to safeguard them from injury.
– Make a training schedule. Adding strengthening exercises as well as regular stretching can help keep you strong and limber and can lessen the possibility of injuries.
– Stretching keeps muscles limber; this will help you gain better flexibility.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact one of our offices located in Sahara Ave and Springs Rd in Las Vegas, and Henderson, NV. We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot and ankle needs.