The Benefits of Walking Barefoot for Babies
Research has indicated that most babies are born with flat feet. This is typically the result of muscles, tendons, and ligaments that have not fully developed yet. When the child starts to walk, it is encouraged to walk barefoot while indoors. The toes will grasp the floor naturally, and this is beneficial in strengthening the entire foot. When walking begins, the foot should be properly measured so the correct size shoe can be determined. It is important for the soles to be flexible, in addition to confirming there is adequate room for the toes to move freely in. Some children will walk with their toes pointing inward or outward. If this pertains to your child, it is suggested to consult with a podiatrist who can properly examine your child’s feet.
The health of a child’s feet is vital to their overall well-being. If you have any questions regarding foot health, contact one of our podiatrists of Foot & Ankle Specialists of Nevada. Our Doctors can provide the care you need to keep you pain-free and on your feet.
Tips for Keeping Children’s Feet Healthy
- Make sure their shoes fit properly
- Look for any signs of in-toeing or out-toeing
- Check to see if they have Clubfoot (condition that affects your child’s foot and ankle, twisting the heel and toes inward) which is one of the most common nonmajor birth defects.
- Lightly cover your baby’s feet (Tight covers may keep your baby from moving their feet freely, and could prevent normal development)
- Allow your toddler to go shoeless (Shoes can be restricting for a young child’s foot)
- Cut toenails straight across to avoid ingrown toenails
- Keep your child’s foot clean and dry
- Cover cuts and scrapes. Wash any scratches with soap and water and cover them with a bandage until they’ve healed.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our office located in Las Vegas, Nevada . We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot care needs.