Children and Shoes
The best shoes for children will always meet their physical needs as their feet develop. Babies will benefit when they can walk barefoot while indoors, as this can help to strengthen the overall foot as the toes grip the floor. When your child starts to walk outside, it can be beneficial to choose a shoe that is made from good quality materials, in addition to ensuring that the sole is not too stiff. Shoe styles can vary, and it is helpful to get your child’s feet professionally measured, followed by trying on and walking in the shoes before any purchases are made. The feet are the foundation of the body, and shoes need to be changed as the feet grow. This allows the feet to have ample room to move and grow. If you would like additional information about what type of shoes to buy for your child, it is suggested that you confer with a podiatrist who can guide you toward the right shoes for your child.
The health of a child’s feet is vital to their overall well-being. If you have any questions regarding foot health, contact Anthony Ricciardi Jr., DPM of Foot & Ankle Specialists of Nevada. Our Doctor can provide the care you need to keep you pain-free and on your feet.
Tips for Keeping Children’s Feet Healthy
- Make sure their shoes fit properly
- Look for any signs of in-toeing or out-toeing
- Check to see if they have Clubfoot (condition that affects your child’s foot and ankle, twisting the heel and toes inward) which is one of the most common nonmajor birth defects.
- Lightly cover your baby’s feet (Tight covers may keep your baby from moving their feet freely, and could prevent normal development)
- Allow your toddler to go shoeless (Shoes can be restricting for a young child’s foot)
- Cut toenails straight across to avoid ingrown toenails
- Keep your child’s foot clean and dry
- Cover cuts and scrapes. Wash any scratches with soap and water and cover them with a bandage until they’ve healed.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our office located in Las Vegas, Nevada . We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot care needs.